Beldon Dominello on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:59:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User Accounts

On Friday 01 June 2001 11:25, you wrote:
> Le Vendredi  1 Juin 2001 16:18, vous (Joseph B. Welsh) avez écrit :
> > I agree, but can't I do the same thing with a su command in a terminal
> > window?
> >
> > I have been running as root for 2 years and never have I typed a command
> > like that.  I gather from what everyone is saying that as non root user,
> > If I do become careless, I have less chance of deleting something I want
> > to keep.  But is that the only advantage to being non root on the system
> > I described?
> >
> > Joe
>
> also - some things such as irc are quite dangerous to do as root, many
> clients won't even permit you to use an irc client as root, and beyond
> this, many irc channels will kick you if you try to join as root.  Just a
> little extra tidbit for ya ;)

Related to that...

There's an IRC client (maybe an old version that was included with RedHat 6.x
or something) that, if you start it as root, displays a message box that
simply reads, "Running IRC as root is stupid!"

--
"Elmer and Ernest, siamese twins joined at the head since birth, sat eager
ly awaiting their first rollercoaster ride at the park."