Joseph B. Welsh on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:30:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User Accounts

Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

You should only log in as root when necessary. Everything you can do as a non-root user, you should do as a non-root user. You can't accidentally rm -rf / as a non-root user. This is a good thing.

I agree, but can't I do the same thing with a su command in a terminal window?

I have been running as root for 2 years and never have I typed a command like that. I gather from what everyone is saying that as non root user, If I do become careless, I have less chance of deleting something I want to keep. But is that the only advantage to being non root on the system I described?

Joe