Mental on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:38:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User Accounts

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 12:18:39PM -0400, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> I have been running as root for 2 years and never have I typed a command
> like that.  I gather from what everyone is saying that as non root user,
> If I do become careless, I have less chance of deleting something I want
> to keep.  But is that the only advantage to being non root on the system
> I described?

Its fine until an applicaiton you're running misbehaves or does something
it shouldnt. Or you do something you shouldnt. Running everything as root
gives you DOS level security. Which is fine. For DOS users. Dont take it
the wrong way. Its your system, do whatever you want. You're much more
likely to have a catastrophe your way that would otherwise never have
happened.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"Religion is probably, after sex, the second oldest resource which
human beings have available to them for blowing their minds."
[Susan Sontag (1933)]