Greg Lopp on Sat, 2 Jun 2001 17:10:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Debian and X

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 02:11:00PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I installed Debian on my machine today. This would be a good thing if
> it were not for the facts that
>
>    (1) I'm in Europe (which is fun, but it means I'm far from my
>        data and so feeling a bit of stress until I rsync my personal
>        stuff over here)
>
>    (2) I did this because my scsi disk died, and so I pirated the IDE
>        drive from the machine I accidentally blew up by forgetting to
>        flip that little switch over to 230
>
>    (3) I'm more used to RedHat-like systems
Where you used to say "rpm -qa" and grep out what you wanted to
know, use "dpkg -l".

>    (4) I'm waiting for Murphy to kick in and something else goes wrong.
>
> OK, the last is not so real.
>
> Anyway, here I am with a machine that comes up under linux, but
> without X. And I can't quite figure out what to apt-get to make X
> work. I tried saying "apt-get install xterm", which installed a whole
> bunch of stuff, but doesn't seem to have given me anything I recognize
> for configuring and starting X.
/usr/bin/X11/XF86Setup ?  If you don't have it, apt-get install
xf86setup.

> Any assistance helpful. Google just keeps telling me about things
> people try to install XFree86 4.0.x without deb packages...
I had to do that for one of my machines when I moved to Debian a
few months ago...thanks to their install script, it turned out to
be much easier to do than I had originally feared.

Greg