gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:50:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ELF Init section

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:33:54AM -0400, Tim Peeler wrote:
> That's a good point, speed would be comprimised by doing numerous reads
> on the file, and that speed loss would be more than the 40 some odd bytes
> of the header.  But you do have to agree that it would make revisions
> to the ELF format easier to implement.  But there is also the fact that
> any new revisions shouldn't really increase the header that much anyway
> (what having to deal with 50 bytes instead of 40???), so I can see the
> point of using the structured approach.

I don't know that the ELF header does, but this is the reason that
many structures within operating systems leave a few spare bytes
around or reuse bytes differently in later revisions. (True,
actually, even at the hardware design level.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net