Tim Peeler on Tue, 5 Jun 2001 03:20:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ELF Init section

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:42:41AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 01:27:04AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > POSIX says du -k gives 1 kilobyte blocks.
>
> Ahem, which clearly makes no sense if what we're interested in is
> bytes, of course. Must have been off my rocker, qumak, sorry.
>
> :^>
>
> > Further, find me a file system that uses a block size other than
> > 512 bytes in wide use on any modern, Unix-like operating system.
>
> I stand by that, though it's obviously completely unrelated. ;^>

ext2 - sizes of 1, 2 and 4k can be specified when creating the fs,
else it "determines" the best size, which is (in my experience)
almost always 4k.  I'm not sure about some of the new journaling
filesystems, I gather that *BSD uses 512 bytes?  I think the minix
filesystem and older versions of ext{1,2} did/can do 512.

Tim