John_E_Beck on Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:00:10 -0400

[PLUG] Help needed with MySql database

Hi all,

I am running RH7.1, and last night I installed the MySQL rpm off of the CD.  Now
I am trying to log into the database to get to a mysql> prompt, but I am getting
the error:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySql server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I checked the manual, and it appears as the mysqld server isn't running.  I
tried to read the manual, but don't quite understand what I need to do to get it
 running...

Literally, all I have done from a configuration standpoint is use package
manager to install the database.  As you can tell, I am really new to this.
Is there anyone who will be at the meeting tonight that can help me get this
working on my laptop?  I will take notes, so I can go back and do the same on my
 desktop!

If there is, please let me know!

Thanks!

John Beck