Michael C. Toren on Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:22:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast @Home in South Jersey. DHCP

> I recently signed up for Comcas's @Home cable service and am having
> difficulty configuring my Debian Potato machine to use a dhcp client to
> communicate with the service.
>
> The technician that I spoke to during the initial setup gave me the
> current ip address, gateway, netmask, and DNS servers.  These work fine
> when I configure /etc/network/interfaces like so:

> #@Home adapter
> iface eth1 inet static
>     address <ip.address.from.comcast>
>     network <ip.address.from.comcast>
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway <gateway.address.from.comcast>

The Debian interfaces(5) man page has a section on configuring dhcp
interfaces.  I would recommend uninstalling the dhcp-client package,
installing the simpler pump package instead, and using something like
the following in your /etc/network/interfaces file:

	# @Home adapter
	iface eth1 inet dhcp

Good luck,

-mct