Robert J. Squire Jr. on Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:20:06 -0400

[PLUG] Comcast @Home in South Jersey. DHCP

Hello:

I recently signed up for Comcas's @Home cable service and am having
difficulty configuring my Debian Potato machine to use a dhcp client to
communicate with the service.

The technician that I spoke to during the initial setup gave me the
current ip address, gateway, netmask, and DNS servers.  These work fine
when I configure /etc/network/interfaces like so:

#Lan adapter
iface eth0 inet static
    address: 192.168.1.5
    network 192.168.1.0
    netmask  255.255.255.0

#@Home adapter
iface eth1 inet static
    address <ip.address.from.comcast>
    network <ip.address.from.comcast>
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway <gateway.address.from.comcast>

I just left my resolv.conf alone with my isp's nameservers and all is
well with my connection.  However the addresses I'm using are subject to
change without notice so a dynamic solution is necessary.

I installed the dhcpcd package and added the following to
/etc/dhcpcd/config

OPTIONS='-h "hostnamefromcomcast"'

My /etc/hostname file reads as follows:

hostnamefromcomcast

and my /etc/hosts file contains the line:

192.168.1.5 hostnamefromcomcast.tnvl1.nj.home.com

I thought this was all that was necessary but my syslog reflects
timeouts from dhcpc trying to get an address. (timeout is currently 60
seconds.)   Naturally when I try to   ifup eth1  I get a message telling
me that dhcpcd is not running because it timed out and died.

If anyone has a similar configuration and know where I've gone wrong I'd
appreciate their input.  But please be gentle, my pride is damaged by
this defeat.
To add insult to injury I plugged the cable modem into a win2k box and
set the computer name to hostnamefromcomcast and the workgroup to @home
and dns and ip address to dynamic and the machine connected instantly
with tcp/ip settings that match the values provided by the comcast
technician.

Thanks in advance:

Robert Squire