tom panzarella on Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:50:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help needed with MySql database

I am not familiar with the RPM version of MySQL (or really where the
rpm version puts things) but 2 things that come to mind that you could
check are:

1- Did you run the 'mysql_install_db' script after you installed the
server? This script creates the MySQL 'mysql' database as well as the
'test' database as well as creates the 'root' user.  Maybe MySQL is
not starting for you because those databases (well really just the
'mysql' db) is not there.  You can check if the db is there manually
by looking at your filesystem.  Below you indicate that the RPM has
set up your system to install the databases in /var/lib/mysql ... so
if the mysql db is installed you should have a directory called
'mysql' in that dir (so /var/lib/mysql/mysql).

2- Check the mysql config file (wherever it is located with the RPM
version).  What user is mysql supposed to start as?  Typically (at
least in my experience) people run mysqld as 'mysql'.  Did you create
the 'mysql' user and group?   You can override what mysqld runs as by
adding the --user=<some user on your system> flag to the safe_mysqld script.

Maybe that will help. Good luck.

t.