John Beck on Sat, 9 Jun 2001 13:00:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Help needed with MySql database

Thanks to everyone that helped with this problem, I now have a working MySql
database!!!

Here was the solution:

>From a completely clean install on RH7.1, make sure that all 4 .rpm files
are there (client, client9, server, manual).  Next thing to do is to
immediately run: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start

Anytime I tried to run the mysql_install_db script as indicated in the
manual, I wasn't able to get the server started...  I am not sure why this
is, but its what happened, so I won't argue!  :)

I was able to get the server started, create a user and password, modify the
password on the root user, and create my db and tables with no problem, once
I just started the database first thing instead of running the install
script.

Thanks again to everyone for there help!