Anthony Locascio on Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:32:55 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X Window Smart Terminal?

On 29 Jun 2001, at 12:17, Kyle R . Burton wrote:

> No no I am pretty sure I am talking about a device which is NOT a PC...
> that would stand alone in a sense with just a connection to a computer.
>
> I think the Linux Journal mentioned something about this when they said,
> "NEC's dedicated X-Terminal device" I tried to peek around for this
> with no real luck.
>
> So if anyone can help me along these lines?

I think the article mentioned on /., and the LTSP, talk about using
computers (like old 486's), removing the hard drives, and having them
use BOOTP to boot across the network from a Linux server, and launch an X
session that connects to the linux server.  Effectivly making them into
X terminals, bing just a box with a CPU, a small amount of RAM, a Video
card, a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Because of 486's are readily available, and cheap, they're usualy seen
as a good alternative to buying (or building custom) X-terminals.

ahhh

ok

I was thinking that there was some sort of "magical" box out there
that would enable you to use a X windows connnection without
having any sort of computer inside the box itself.  :)

That I guess is where the problem comes in... ok thanks I will read
all the lovely information:)

Anthony

   Of course power tools and alcohol don't mix.  Everyone knows power tools
   aren't soluble in alcohol...      -- Crazy Nigel