Darxus on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:20:11 -0400

[PLUG] some work on the letter to usip.edu

Please proofread, make suggestions, rewrite alltogether, etc....

The Philadelphia Linux Users Group (PLUG) is a computer user group,
focusing on the Linux operating system, which is very similar to UNIX.
The group has been meeting monthly since December of 1995.  The PLUG
website is http://www.PhillyLinux.org.

We were suddenly notified that the place we have been holding meetings
became unavailable on July 3rd.  We are currently attempting to arrange
a place to meet on July 11th.

We are looking for a new home.  We are contacting you because we
discovered that your Dr. Guillermo Moyna, Department of Chemistry &
Biochemistry, built and runs a Beowulf Linux Cluster.  Dr. Moyna has
told me that he and several other faculty members in his Department and
in the Department of Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Science are very
interested in the possibility of having USP as the hosting institution
of PLUG meetings.

Over the last 5 months, our attendance has ranged from 38-44.  Our only
requirement is seating for at least 50 people.  This number will
probably increase.  Other things that we could make good use of are a
Computer Projector, and Internet Connectivity, but these are certainly
not requirements.

Our meetings are held on the first Wednesday of every month, or postponed
a week in the event of major holidays.  For example, the July meeting
is scheduled for the 11th.  They start at 7pm, and run to about 10pm,
but can go later, if the space continues to be available.

Our meetings include:

* A structured Question and Answer period, where people discuss their
  problems and interests related to Linux.
* A presentation, given by a scheduled speaker, on some topic related to Linux.
* General discussion.

Scheduled presentations are as follows:

7/11/2001
How to run Windows applications in Linux
Leonard Rosenthol & Michael Leone

8/1/2001
PHP Scripting
Bill Patterson

9/5/2001
XML Document Markup Language
Wes Powers

10/3/2001
PostgreSQL vs. MySQL (free Database software)
Bernie Falor, RDA Consultants

11/7/2001
ext2 (Linux) filesystem internals
Mark Jason Dominus

12/5/2001
IPTables (Linux firewalling, etc.)
LeRoy Cressy

1/2/2002
Apache Web Server
Rebecca Ore

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.