M. Jackson Wilkinson on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:20:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] newbie debian questions / philosophy

why not go with progeny?  slick installation, better hw detection, and made
by the debian developers.  best of all worlds? perhaps.

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 09:53:12AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I installed debian (2.2, potato) recently on a new machine. All went
> well except for identifying the ethernet and video cards. Because it
> was a new machine, I was able to look up the ethernet card (had the
> box) and specify the driver. The video card was harder: it's an ATI
> Xpert, which means Mach64 driver. But trying to config X just gives
> me a low-res verticle striping, followed by low-res gray, which then
> offsets to the right leaving a blank strip on the left. And there it
> stays until I control-alt-bs out of it.
>
> Any suggestions on getting X to work? I apt upgraded already.
>

> I'm also trying to get debian up on an older machine. There the video
> card is ok, but the ethernet card is problematic. It's an ethernet
> card that Redhat 5.2 (!) recognized without incident.
>
> Any suggestions how to proceed on that ethernet card?
>

> More generally, I'm curious if anyone can help me empathize with the
> debian installation process. The redhat installer is GPL as I
> recall. Why don't they borrow some of the device detection stuff?
> Debian's got an overly-hard install process, albeit with a nice carrot
> at the end of the stick (apt). I'm not looking for fancy graphical
> installers, but, sheesh, recognizing an ethernet card for which you
> have the driver...and bringing up X on a relatively popular card, at
> least in low res...
>
> Thanks for any help understanding.
>
> --
>  Jeff
>
>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>

M. Jackson Wilkinson <jackw@jounce.net>
Jounce Multimedia Services
Voicemail: 877-832-9021 Cell: 215-919-1513