plug-announce-admin on Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:50:06 -0400

[PLUG] [PLUG-Announce]July 11th PLUG meeting at USP (next wednesday)

Our arrangements to meet at CIGNA have fallen through.  Our contact was
once again required to leave the area during a scheduled meeting (July
11th), and is permanantly leaving soon.  Other options to stay at CIGNA
have not worked out.  Many thanks to Tony Dominello <beldon@speakeasy.org>
for making the arrangements and hosting PLUG at CIGNA.

Our request to hold meetings at the University of the Sciences in
Philadelphia (USP / http://www.usip.edu) has been approved, and PLUG
will be meeting there starting July 11th, next wednesday.  I am optomistic
that this arrangement will work out very well.  The meeting room sounds
wonderful - includes a VGA projector, and internet connectivity.

The scheduled presentation is "How to run Windows applications in Linux",
by Leonard Rosenthol and Michael Leone.

A lot of info, including fairly extensive directions, can be found at
http://www.PhillyLinux.org/meetings.html

The address is:

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP)
Rosenberger Hall, Room 101
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

The room is reserved from 7pm-10pm.

Many thanks to Dr. Guillermo Moyna, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
(and creator and maintainer of their Beowulf Linux cluster), for making
the arrangements.

Scheduled Presentations:

 7/11/2001
 How to run Windows applications in Linux
 Leonard Rosenthol & Michael Leone

 8/1/2001
 PHP Scripting
 Bill Patterson

 9/5/2001
 XML Document Markup Language
 Wes Powers

 10/3/2001
 PostgreSQL vs. MySQL (free Database software)
 Bernie Falor, RDA Consultants

 11/7/2001
 ext2 (Linux) filesystem internals
 Mark Jason Dominus

 12/5/2001
 IPTables (Linux firewalling, etc.)
 LeRoy Cressy

 1/2/2002
 Apache Web Server
 Rebecca Ore

"Rosenberger 101 holds about 50 people, and 102 holds about 90. Each
room has top of the line video/data projectors, Dell computers connected
directly to the USP network--with built in DVD and 250 Zip drives, SVHS
VCR's audio cassette, and audio CD players, with the document cameras
hidden in the ceiling. There are also ports to connect your own laptop
computer. Both rooms have dual sound systems with wireless, as well as
hard wired mikes. All devices are controlled by the latest model AMX
room control system." - USP Technology Newsletter Fall 2000

--
Darxus@ChaosReigns.com