gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 6 Jul 2001 18:05:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] internet access at the next plug meeting

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 04:28:13PM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> How would you describe what would be needed to connect through it ?  Lemme
> know if you decide to bring it.

Um... any 802.11 or 802.11B compatible PCMCIA or PCI card, no?

Actually, that may not be true with the AirPort...

According to Apple (http://www.apple.com/airport/specs.html):

Compatibility
  IEEE 802.11HR Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) 11 Mbps
and 5.5 Mbps draft standard
  IEEE 802.11 DSSS 1 and 2 Mbps standard
  Wi-Fi certified

So you need to have a card that can speak DSS properly. (I can
vouch for the fact that wavelan and aironet cards do, under both
Linux 2.2 and above and NetBSD 1.5 and above, as we were using them
in the Swarthmore CS department during the school year.)

I have a non-Apple-branded wireless base station I'm not using so
much right now, incidentally, and could certainly bring it to
meetings if need be. (Just wish I had a working *laptop*...)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net