eric@lucii.org on Sat, 7 Jul 2001 08:09:56 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast@Home?

Bill:

I've used a Comcast @home (Formerly Suburban) cable service for almost 2
years.  IT ROCKS.  I'm in Swarthmore.. just up the road from you.
They did have some bumpy going when I first started (things like email
service not working and DNS not working) but they've really smoothed
it out.  I've lost service once in the last 8 or 10 months and that
was because old lightning damage to the cable finally took it's toll
on the signal strength.  It's HOME service so they don't like you
running servers but I've got a friend that does and they never bother
him.  Guess you have to be really offensive with it.

I have hit 1.2Mbps down loads (from really big sites like Oracle
during off hours) !

They did not (and probably still do not) support Linux so keep an old
Win95 or Win98 box around for them to hook up.  Then, after they go,
copy the settings, switch to e-smith, OpenBSD, or some other *NIX
system of your choice and don't look back.

Oh, cheaper than DSL also.

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth