Bradley Molnar on Sat, 14 Jul 2001 23:10:05 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Wireless ethernet in apartment building

You're in luck, I've played quite a bit with wireless.  Yes, it will run
under Linux.  However, the Lucent consumer stuff requires windows to
configure.  Only the Apple UFO base station can be configured through a java
utility and will thus run under windows.

The hardest part is getting PCMCIA configured.  Once this is done, it is
easy.  It is much easier using Intel based hardware than apple hardware
(unless it is a very new apple with a built in airport card).

The maximum speed is 11 Mbit/sec.  The speed will depend on how far away
your neighbors are.  Yes, it will go through walls and ceilings in Victorian
houses.  But, the range in some cases can be cut down to 20 feet or less
(this is when I went upstairs 2 floors).  In open area, the range is much
further.  Remember this, power lines and glass in the way will
scatter/disrupt your signals.  2.4 GHz phones will also interrupt your
signals.

If you have any more questions, ask me, any problems, I've probably run into
them.

I'm not sure why running Linux would depend on getting wireless working.
You can always run Linux and use another OS as the router to the internet.
You can also use Linux as a router (even wired -> wireless as I have set up
until I get the last machine wireless).

Have fun and good luck

-brad

--
Have I got a long way to run -- Collective Soul