qumak on Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:00:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Next problem - Missing CDROM Drives

Le Dimanche 15 Juillet 2001 14:21, vous (John Beck) avez écrit :
> Help!  After just installing Slackware 8.0 at home, I am left feeling
> somewhat empty - my sound card wasn't configured, and now I just
> realized that neither of my 2 CDrom drives are listed in /mnt either!!!
> What do I do?!

the entry in /mnt has nothing to do with the cd drive whatsoever.  It is
merely a convienience put there as a standard mountpoint, so you can
reasonably expect to be able to mount the cdrom in /mnt/cdrom on most linux
boxen.  All you need to do is (as root, naturally) mkdir /mnt/cdrom and mkdir
/mnt/cdrom2 for the other one (thought you can call them whatever you want,
if you feel like being creative).

> Still being very new to this, yet a little more confident, I looked in
> the documentation on their site, but couldn't find anything that
> specifically addressed this problem.  I was able to find some mention to
> it, but specifically with panasonic / soundblaster drives.  Their
> recommendation in that case was to recompile the kernel - something I
> have never done.  Seeing as both RedHat and Mandrake recognized both
> drives (one is a yamaha cd-rw CRW2100E, and the other is just the drive
> that came with the IBM computer - LG CD-ROM CRD-8400B), why weren't they
> recognized during Slackware's install (using kernel 2.2.19, although
> version 8.0 is supposed to come with kernel 2.4.5, I don't know how to
> use it...).  By the way, when the computer is going through its boot up,
> I can see both drives acknowledged and mentioned.

Ok, i'm going under the assumption that both of these drives are IDE/ATAPI
cdrom drives, right?  You need'nt compile anything into your kernel to use
them.  The CDRW, however, if IDE, will require SCSI emulation to operate as a
CDRW not just a CD.  This may or may not require kernel recompilation, i'm
not at all familiar with Slackware's standard kernel - Any slackers on the
list have comments? :)  Either way, they'll both work as cdrom drives, and
here's how:

Either look in your computer and find out how they are connected, or look in
your bootup messages (which can be accessed after bootup with the 'dmesg'
command as well) for something like this:

hda: IBM-DTTA-351350, ATA DISK drive
hdb: SAF CD-RW6424A, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: WDC WD400BB-00AUA1, ATA DISK drive
hdd: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1202, ATAPI CDROM drive

Find which one is which.  I have hdb for my CDRW and hdd for my CDROM (well
DVD if you need to be specific, but it's the same thing configuration-wise
anyhow...)

In my situation (for yours, replace hdb and hdd with whatever is correct on
your system) I can mount /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom to access my CDRW (as a CDROM)
and i can mount /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 to access my DVD drive. (when I'm done
i'll have to umount /mnt/cdrom2 and umount /mnt/cdrom before i can eject
them).  The bummer to that system is you need to be root to mount and umount
them, which is why we have /etc/fstab :). Open it up in your favorite text
editor (yeah, it's vim, i can smell it ;)) and add these two lines
(replacing, again, my hdd and hdb with the correct values for your system).

/dev/hdb    /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev       0 0
/dev/hdd    /mnt/cdrom2    iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev       0 0

(just use a tab for each whitespace)

Now, any user will be able to mount /mnt/cdrom or mount /dev/hdb or mount
/mnt/cdrom2 or mount /dev/hdd and their respective umount commands.  Any of
these should work (instead of specifying both the device and mountpoint, you
can specify one or the other, thanks to fstab).

This message is running on, we'll cover CD writing in linux in another one ;).

> It seems kind of extreme to have to recompile the kernel (maybe I'm just
> nervous) to get the drives recognized, especially when they were present
> and working (even used to install the software!).
>
> Can anyone help please!  By the way, for what its worth, my windows98
> partition was recognized and configured without me having to do anything
> - I hope they aren't trying to tell me something! :-)

Well, this is slackware, the whole premise is essentially that the user has
to configure everything manually for himself, which can be a very good thing
(both for learning and control).  To get the same amount of familiarity with
most other distributions would probably be harder because they automate so
much for you.

--qumak(james)

p.s. - I've never used slackware myself so if any of my assumptions are
wrong, feel free to publicly chastise me. :)