John Beck on Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:30:05 -0400

[PLUG] Next problem - Missing CDROM Drives

Help!  After just installing Slackware 8.0 at home, I am left feeling
somewhat empty - my sound card wasn't configured, and now I just
realized that neither of my 2 CDrom drives are listed in /mnt either!!!
What do I do?!

Still being very new to this, yet a little more confident, I looked in
the documentation on their site, but couldn't find anything that
specifically addressed this problem.  I was able to find some mention to
it, but specifically with panasonic / soundblaster drives.  Their
recommendation in that case was to recompile the kernel - something I
have never done.  Seeing as both RedHat and Mandrake recognized both
drives (one is a yamaha cd-rw CRW2100E, and the other is just the drive
that came with the IBM computer - LG CD-ROM CRD-8400B), why weren't they
recognized during Slackware's install (using kernel 2.2.19, although
version 8.0 is supposed to come with kernel 2.4.5, I don't know how to
use it...).  By the way, when the computer is going through its boot up,
I can see both drives acknowledged and mentioned.

It seems kind of extreme to have to recompile the kernel (maybe I'm just
nervous) to get the drives recognized, especially when they were present
and working (even used to install the software!).

Can anyone help please!  By the way, for what its worth, my windows98
partition was recognized and configured without me having to do anything
- I hope they aren't trying to tell me something! :-)