fintler on Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:50:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Next problem - Missing CDROM Drives

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, John Beck wrote:

> Help!  After just installing Slackware 8.0 at home, I am left feeling
> somewhat empty - my sound card wasn't configured, and now I just
> realized that neither of my 2 CDrom drives are listed in /mnt either!!!
> What do I do?!
>
> Still being very new to this, yet a little more confident, I looked in
> the documentation on their site, but couldn't find anything that
> specifically addressed this problem.  I was able to find some mention to
> it, but specifically with panasonic / soundblaster drives.  Their
> recommendation in that case was to recompile the kernel - something I
> have never done.  Seeing as both RedHat and Mandrake recognized both
> drives (one is a yamaha cd-rw CRW2100E, and the other is just the drive
> that came with the IBM computer - LG CD-ROM CRD-8400B), why weren't they
> recognized during Slackware's install (using kernel 2.2.19, although
> version 8.0 is supposed to come with kernel 2.4.5, I don't know how to
> use it...).  By the way, when the computer is going through its boot up,
> I can see both drives acknowledged and mentioned.
>
> It seems kind of extreme to have to recompile the kernel (maybe I'm just
> nervous) to get the drives recognized, especially when they were present
> and working (even used to install the software!).
>
> Can anyone help please!  By the way, for what its worth, my windows98
> partition was recognized and configured without me having to do anything
> - I hope they aren't trying to tell me something! :-)

First off, I'll point you to the kernel-howto
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html when you get into make
menuconfig (if you don't use config or xconfig) the sound driver modules
are the last ones in the menu.

To mount your cd drivves your going to have to do some diggin in /proc to
find out which /dev/bleh is assigned to each drive. Then add the entry you
need to your /etc/fstab. You might want to test each with mkdir
/mnt/cddrive1;mount /dev/bleh /mnt/cddrive1 or whatever fits your setup.

Slackware is different than redhat in that it tries to keep things simple.
Redhat tries to make it easy by including everything and anything and
making it semi-invisible to the end user (a la windoze), while slack lets
the user set up the system in a way that only includes what the user
needs. If you don't know what you need than good luck to you :D

-Jon (jb@10v.org)