gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:50:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Are all SDSLs really just two ADSLs back to front?

Boys, boys. Try to behave civilly. ;^>

I think the consensus on the SDSL issue is "duh?"

I'd never heard that that's even what 640 SDSL was made up of. Does
that mean there are actuall two DSL modems involved? If not, what's
it matter?

Are you just asking about the speeds? If that's the case, then
seeing a 640 Kbps SDSL line when there are 512/128 Kbps can be made
sense of sans this reversing. If a given chunk of hardware carries,
say, 1280, then it can be duplexed to carry 640 two way to one
location or 512/128 separately to two locations.

All this aside, I don't really buy your theory, as my DSL is 608
downstream (max) and 128 upstream (always). The downstream wavers so
low as 300 Kbps or so during peak hours, and I don't think I've seen
it peak higher than 500, but it's definitely not the kind of strict
division you're seeing. (On the other hand, I'm about 15,000 feet
from my CO and Verizon's work isn't the most stellar around here,
but I was certainly given the impression that the variable
downstream speed was part of the package.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net