Ian Reinhart Geiser on Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:50:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Installfest

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 08:48 am, you wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:10:42PM -0400, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > only if they have 68k binarys on them, i am dying to get my Quadra 700
> > off of AUX and onto BSD :)
>
> Don't think it's bootable on mac68k, but it definitely has the
> install sets. I have four mac68k machines running up on Swarthmore's
> campus, one of which actually is a Quadra 700. I'd be glad to help.

Heh, the only reaso I have AUX on it is because I want to use it as an X
terminal.

> Be aware that NetBSD/mac68k is a little... queer. You need to have a
> MacOS partition around to boot, as we let MacOS initialize the
> hardware and pass it off to us (just as macppc lets OpenFirmware
> initialize the hardware) rather than tracking down and writing
> attach code for all the various kinds of nubus controller chips that
> live in the wide variety of mac68k machines. That said, it's totally
> useable, even as a headless server, since the MacOS application that
> boots NetBSD can live in the Startup Items folder, and MacOS can
> even be told to restart reliably after a power outtage.

yes i know, i figure haveing a local CD may make things easier...

> I don't know what kind of state http://linux-mac68k.sourceforge.net/
> is in. I get the feeling that, as they're starting from scratch on
> the device driver thing, they've got a little less than
> NetBSD/mac68k, but I'm not sure. They may be worth a look if you
> *actually* want Linux, or if you just can't bear to boot via MacOS.

linux is fairly hard to port to non-intel based systems and even worse to
systems that lack firmware.  BSD seems infinitely more stable on the old 68k
macintosh systems.  it is safe to say that Linux was only ment to be intel
only given linus's opinon on the matter and the state of the kernel...

oh well
-ian reinhart geiser
--
Fortune for the day:
Intel CPUs are not defective, they just act that way.