gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Installfest

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:10:42PM -0400, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> only if they have 68k binarys on them, i am dying to get my Quadra 700 off of
> AUX and onto BSD :)

Don't think it's bootable on mac68k, but it definitely has the
install sets. I have four mac68k machines running up on Swarthmore's
campus, one of which actually is a Quadra 700. I'd be glad to help.

Be aware that NetBSD/mac68k is a little... queer. You need to have a
MacOS partition around to boot, as we let MacOS initialize the
hardware and pass it off to us (just as macppc lets OpenFirmware
initialize the hardware) rather than tracking down and writing
attach code for all the various kinds of nubus controller chips that
live in the wide variety of mac68k machines. That said, it's totally
useable, even as a headless server, since the MacOS application that
boots NetBSD can live in the Startup Items folder, and MacOS can
even be told to restart reliably after a power outtage.

I don't know what kind of state http://linux-mac68k.sourceforge.net/
is in. I get the feeling that, as they're starting from scratch on
the device driver thing, they've got a little less than
NetBSD/mac68k, but I'm not sure. They may be worth a look if you
*actually* want Linux, or if you just can't bear to boot via MacOS.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net