Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:50:06 -0400

[PLUG] amd potato natsemi blues

    I have an amd computer (a7vl-vm mobo, amd athlon 750)
and I would like to use a national semiconductor
ethernet card (natsemi is the module).  I would like to use debian-potato
on the
computer as well.

    I have installed debian on it with no troubles using the 2.2.17
default
kernel.  I have had troubles when compiling the new kernel so I'm going to
start over from scratch.

    Question is, what do I need to obtain besides the 2.4.6.deb kernel
image
in order to compile and install the proper kernel so I can use the natsemi
module under debian?

    If one is interested, I first compiled a 2.4.6 kernel for a i586.  It
booted properly, but couldn't resolve modules properly.  I edited the
paths in
the /etc/modutils/paths file in order to get this working (probably a
mistake).
This resulted in a module that said "something wiked happened" when I
tried to
use natsemi.

    I recently recompiled for i486. Again the kernel worked, but now I
can't
resolve symbols for natsemi when I tried to insmod it.

Fred