Kyle R . Burton on Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:00:10 -0400

[PLUG] purposly emptying the file cache?

Is there a way under Linux to on-purpose cause the buffer cache to be
cleared out?  We're trying to do some benchmarking, and the second time
we run the benchmark, we don't want the performance gain of reading from
cache instead of re-reading from disk to favor the second run.

Is there a way to flush the file cache?  bdflush [update] seems to be a
utility that you can use to manualy cause a flush of dirty buffers
(sync) to disk, but [from what I've read] it doens't sound like you can
use it to empty the [read] file cache.

Thanks,
Kyle R. Burton

Just as the highest and the lowest notes
are equaly inaudible, so, perhaps, is the greatest sense
and the greatest nonsense equaly unintelligible.
        -- Alan Watts