Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Terminal copy

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:55:21AM -0400, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> > Does anyone out there know of a way to copy files while you are in a
> > terminal session.
> > With ssh you can sftp, but isn't there something like "remotecp" or a nifty
> > little command that will let you transfer files.
>
> I know others have responded with scp, rsync and others, but I'm not
> sure if they are the answer to the question you're asking.  If you can
> have a terminal session, but no other network connectivity, then kermit
> might be what you're looking for.  It allows you to transfer a file
> across an already existing session (like telnet or ssh for example).
>
> It's a little strange to use the first time or two, but it can get the
> job done.  Availability is another issue altogeather, though many unixes
> support kermit.
>
> A quick search on google turned up this:
>
>   http://www.icewalk.com/softlib/app/app_00191.html

The following isn't what the original poster asked (I don't think),
but it touches on an occasional problem I have, which is copying
through cascading ssh sessions (due to firewalls, IP-restricted hosts,
etc.). For example, here's something that happens to me not
uncommonly:

[ jeff@host-1 :jeff ] ssh host-2
passwd:
[ jeff@host-2 :jeff ] ssh host-3
passwd:
[ jeff@host-3 :jeff ] ssh host-4
passwd:
[ jeff@host-4 :jeff ] ls *to-copy*
new-file-to-copy-1        new-file-to-copy-2
[ jeff@host-4 :jeff ]

Now I'd like to copy thse files back, but I have only come up with two
solutions:

1. Invoke all of those ssh's with port forwarding, so that I
daisy-chain IP connections along the way. Run an rsync server on
host-4. Then rsync (on host-1) to an rsync server on localhost, which,
through ssh forwarding, really is the rsync server on host-4.

  This has two disadvantages: it requiress a lot of forethought (I may
  not have realized at first that I was going to need to copy a file),
  and it opens a slight security risk, as those forwarded connections
  are available to anyone local on each of those machines. In
  addition, I have found it less than reliable, and sensitive to weird
  configuration issues. But this last could be fixed, I'm sure.

2. Just encrypt the files and mail them to myself, works fine as long
as the files are not multiple MB. Requires that I maintain more state
in my head, especially if there are lots of files. (I have to remember
what to do with them when they arrive.) Not a big deal if I can tar
them up first.

I'm not sure there really are any other solutions, it's just a problem
that nags at me every time this happens.

--
 Jeff