Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:00:15 -0400

[PLUG] woody upgrade

> It would be helpful if I could figure it out. The card does not
> identify itself, neither visually nor via lspci. I don't have a box for
> it or anything useful like that.

In almost all cases there are two hex numbers associated with each card.
The first number is the company name, the next IDs that card w/in the corp.
You can do a search on these numbers along w/ something like network card
and get tables which list these.  Also try, hex network cards. I found
really weird cards on web by being persistent and smart w/ search strings.
The truth is out there. :) If you can convert first hex string into a corp
then you are almost home free b/c that really reduces the number of cards.

> I tried doing
>
>     apt-get source kernel-image-2.2.18pre21
>
> which is what uname suggested I use. My thought was to compile tulip.c,
> downloaded from the URL you proposed above. But this doesn't give me
> actual source, just some config files.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get enough source/header files in /usr/src to
> be able to compile tulip.c?

You need to compile whole kernel. It's not so bad, really, just make sure you
edit lilo.conf and make the new kernel an option, then when you reboot,
if you do nothing, your system will be exactly the same as before. When you
are happy, make new kernel default.

> Seems like I must be missing something obvious, but it's not obvious
> yet...

I wouldn't give up.

Good luck.

Fred