Walt Mankowski on Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] encoding CD Text?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 05:09:31PM +0000, qumak wrote:
> > What's CD-Text?
>
> It encodes the name of the album and songs etc - cd players that support it
> can then show names instead of just numbers for tracks.  I've seen this in
> many of the newer car cd-players, kind of neat.

I thought it was a neat feature, too, when I first got my new car CD
player.  I'm less thrilled now.  There are a few minor problems with
CD-Text:

* The vast majority of CD's, even new ones, aren't encoded with
  CD-Text.

* My CD player only shows the first 8 letters of the song name.

It might be cool on a home player, with a bigger display, though...

Walt