Bill Jonas on Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:00:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SANE with parallel scanner on Debian

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 06:12:54AM -0500, Robert J. Squire Jr. wrote:
> When I run scanimage or xsane I get an error telling me that there are
> no scannners present.
> If I run as root it warns me about running xsane as the superuser and
> then works perfectly.

Aren't there /dev/scanner* devices?  What are their group ownerships and
permissions?  Are you in that group?

I haven't played much with scanners under Linux, so I may be off here...
but based on what you said, it definitely sounds like a permissions
problem.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin