Pete Foley on Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:10:05 -0400

[PLUG] Continent->Country->State/Province free downloadable database?

Hello,

I know this is not too Linux related, but I really did not know
where else to ask.  But I am developing in Linux (of course!) so
that should count.

Anyway, I am working on a program that would really benefit from the
ability to sort data by geographical location.  The user should be
able to search(or browse) from the continent level down to the
state/province level.  But, I really do not want to break out the
map and put all of it into a database by hand.  Does anyone know if
there is a free database (I am using MySQL, but CSV will work
great) for download that has all this data in it?  Or any
suggestions (such as an existing lib that does it).  I am writing my
app in PERL, and I looked on CPAN and I grabbed some of the
Geography::States modules, but that only has 5 countries or so in
it.  And it did not look like there was any module that would list
countries by continent.

Thanks,
-Pete

--