gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:10:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Continent->Country->State/Province free downloadable database?

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:43:50PM -0500, Pete Foley wrote:
> I know this is not too Linux related, but I really did not know
> where else to ask.  But I am developing in Linux (of course!) so
> that should count.

Hrm.

/usr/share/misc/country on any NetBSD system (not the only interesting
file in there, btw) contains the ISO 3166-1 country codes, but it's
only current as of 19991001 on my system (and not all of what you
want, anyhow). It does, though, have this little tidbit of information:

  # Further information can be found at the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency
  # (ISO 3166/MA) web site, <http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/>.

I'm thinking the IS0 3166 people are those closest to already having
done what you want to do.

Oh, and I'll spare you my usually lengthy complaint about how MySQL
is not, properly, a DBMS, being as it fails the ACID test. PostgreSQL
passes, and is nearly as fast these days.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net