Pete Foley on Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:40:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Continent->Country->State/Province free downloadable database?

Thus spake Walt Mankowski on Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:17:45PM -0400:
> There are only 200 or so countries in the world, and less than 10
> "continents" (depending on how you count things like Central America
> and Oceana).  With a world map or an almanac you could probably enter
> them all in just an hour or two.
Yeah, I know that it would only take a few hours, and I was figuring
that if there was not anything else out there that I would either
make a CSV database of it or make a PERL module with all of the data
hard coded into it (like the Geography::States or
Geography::USStates modules).  But I cannot imagine that I am the
first person that needs something like this (or at least looking for
an Open Source version).  Like I said, if nothing comes up I will
probably throw one together and then release it to the community.
Considering that I am currently unemployed, I should be able to find
the time to do it.

> The only really tough part is the country divisions.  Finding out the
> names of all the German states, Swiss cantons, and whatnot is going to
> take some research.
It will definitely take some research, but it may be worth it.  I'll
see what happens.  :)

-Pete

--
Pete Foley (pete@lynchman.net)