Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 6 Aug 2001 03:20:09 -0400

[PLUG] ending a process from outside

I want to display an image for four seconds (from the shell, although
any app to do it is fine). Then I want to be able to write something
like

    $ for f in *.jpg; do disp_for 4 $f; done

and get a slide show.

The slide show is the real goal, but the process terminator widget
seems useful in other contexts (don't ask me what, just intuition).

I'm not sure how to do this without writing a "real" program. Whatever
I come up with, I just want to be able to call it from the shell. A
shell function seems ideal.

Any thoughts on direction?

Again, I know I could write a C or perl program that does a fork,
waits four seconds in the parent, then kills the child with first
SIGINT, then SIGKILL. And I know that wouldn't be very hard. But it
seems there should be a simpler way.

--
 Jeff