Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 6 Aug 2001 03:20:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] home dns notes

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 05:59:55PM -0400, aab@drexel.edu wrote:
> Jeff, why not have either [a] your hosting site delegate home.purple.com
> to your home machines or

dhcp: no fixed IP.

Also, it doesn't seem nice to pollute dns space with private stuff
like this (home.purple.com resolves to say "query 192.168.0.5").

> [b] set yourself up as an authority for it, but
> duplicate the external DNS site's records that aren't within your home.

Can I do this without having to manually intercede? It's a bother to
have to maintain a shadow when an outside IP changes. It'd be cool if
it could work.

I thought about split DNS, but it seemed more complicated for my tiny
home network of four machines.

-Jeff

> /etc/hosts works, but it can be a nuisance ... while a hybrid DNS config
> would be an operating system independent solution (for the clients, that
> is  :^)
>
> andrew.
>
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>
> > The problem is that if I claim authority over purple.com, I can't see
> > the outside purple things (www, list). If I claim authority over a
> > subdomain, I don't get there, since the lookups are com -->
> > purple.com, which doesn't know about home.purple.com subdomain.
> >
> > So the solution was to use /etc/hosts to declare all my local
> > names. My nsswitch.conf of course says "files dns". Then I declare dns
> > authority over 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa to get reverse resolution
> > working (important for ssh, sshd, and the like--avoiding dns timeouts
> > on my lan). And now it appears that all works fine (if I don't poke
> > too much with nslookup / dig).
> >
> > --
> >  Jeff
> >
> >  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>