Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:50:06 -0400

[PLUG] home dns notes

I just thought I'd share how I solved a problem I have. I may be
unique in having this problem, but, well, just in case.

I have my own domain, but I don't do dns for it. Still, I want my home
machines to be part of purple.com, even though only I can see my
192.168.0.0/24 subnet. So I need a sort of private piece of domain
name space. For example, I want mail to work properly (outgoing, but
also receiving and having it be accepted), despite the fact that it
delivers through magic of MX records. And I just like the clean-ness
of having my machine have a purple name.

The problem is that if I claim authority over purple.com, I can't see
the outside purple things (www, list). If I claim authority over a
subdomain, I don't get there, since the lookups are com -->
purple.com, which doesn't know about home.purple.com subdomain.

So the solution was to use /etc/hosts to declare all my local
names. My nsswitch.conf of course says "files dns". Then I declare dns
authority over 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa to get reverse resolution
working (important for ssh, sshd, and the like--avoiding dns timeouts
on my lan). And now it appears that all works fine (if I don't poke
too much with nslookup / dig).

--
 Jeff