gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:50:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] home dns notes

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:17:44AM -0400, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
> 	I've got 2 DNS servers, both RH7.1, running BIND 9.1.0.  One handles
> the DNS for our internal NAT'd network, and one handles the DNS for our
> domain name (keyinfosys.com).  Everything seems to work fine as I point our
> workstations at the internal DNS, but is there a way that I could have one
> machine resolve for both networks?  I'm thinking this because I'd like to
> have 2 machines doing DNS, but each machine doing internal and internet DNS,
> one backing up the other.

BIND 9's views do exactly what you want. I've never used them, though
I saw Paul Vixie's presentation on BIND 9 at LISA last fall, and
this is exactly the kind of functionality views're designed for..

> 	One other thing, not sure if it makes a difference or not, but my
> internet DNS server is on the NAT network and I've got my firewall set to
> forward DNS traffic on a public IP to the machine on the NAT network.

That shouldn't be a big deal. If you list this DNS server in
resolv.conf (or equivalent) on machines within your LAN, you'll want
to refer to it by its internal IP address, but I'm sure you know
that.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net