Michael Leone on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 08:14:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cable Modem/Linux Router Project, etc

> I am going to be getting comcast@home soon, and am pondering setting up a
> computer to use as a router/firewall, since I am going to have multiple
> machines in my apartment.
>
> I have 3 computers I could potentially use for this purpose: an old 386
> (2M), a 486 dx-33 (20M), and a p-120 (40M).  None of them have hard
> drives, and the only spare NICs I have are all ISA.
>
> Is the floppy-based version of LRP tough to do?  How would I go about

Not at all. Do yourself a favor, tho, and get the newer versions available
from http://leaf.sourceforge.net. (LEAF = Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall,
an actively maintained derivative of LRP). They come with preset firewalling
scripts, and with NIC modules - standard LRP doesn't.
Use the EigerStein image - it literally took me 5 minutes to setup. There's
also version available with PPPoE support, too.