Michael Leone on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 08:30:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL: Questions to ask?

> Well, giving you the information you need to set up a machine rather
> than an "install disk" for Windows gets high marks. But the vast
> majority of DSL providers do this: we're the audience they're
> catering to, really. (As much as "broadband multimedia" is talked
> up, the average window user is on a cable modem. It's primarily Unix
> admins and hardcore gamers--who also know what they're doing
> networking-wise, typically--using DSL. At least, in my experience.)

You must never have had Verizon as your ISP, then, since they "officially"
support only Windows on their DSL accounts. Tell them you use Linux; they
stop talking to you.

They're OK as a line provider, tho.

> > P.S. Oh, BTW, might any of you have any extra line filters or splitters?
>
> Huh? What's a line filter?

The line filter is used for voice phones on the same phone line that the DSL
service is on.

> DSL uses a phone line, but not the same one as your voice line,
> usually. Each of the DSL and the phone line need two pairs, there

Verizon uses the same line for voice and DSL.