gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:40:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL: Questions to ask?

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:22:06AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> You must never have had Verizon as your ISP, then, since they "officially"
> support only Windows on their DSL accounts. Tell them you use Linux; they
> stop talking to you.
[...]
> The line filter is used for voice phones on the same phone line that the DSL
> service is on.
[...]
> Verizon uses the same line for voice and DSL.

In all my future communication with PLUG about DSL, you may presume
that I take "DSL ISP" to EXCLUDE any phone company monopolies, mkay?

;^>

Seriously, that blows chunks larger than Nantucket. And if the
original poster was even considering Verizon, he should change his
mind right now. There are mafia-owned DSL providers which provide
better quality of service at less real cost.

Oh, and if Verizon tells an ISP that it can't get a line to you,
then turns around and tells you that *they* can give you DSL service,
call your local better business bureau, because your Verzion CO
has just broken a very important law.

> They're OK as a line provider, tho.

Um. Sure. If taking two months to do a ten minute install and line
test qualifies as "OK". :^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net