Michael C. Toren on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:28:56 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Attacked by spammers

> Aug  7 22:55:55 mercury inetd[269]: smtp/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated
> Any clues?

If inetd accepts more than N connections a minute, it makes a determination
that the service it's launching is broken, and throttles additional incoming
connections.  The default limit I believe is about 40.  To change the limit
to, say, 100, change the word "nowait" in your inetd.conf file to "nowait.100"
and reload.

Not that I necessarily recommend running an MTA out of inetd in the first
place.  :-)  I hope you at least have the exim equivalent of "sendmail -q"
in your crontab.

Good luck,

-mct