Dennis Dougherty on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:20:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Attacked by spammers

Check out http://www.mail-cleaner.com .. I've been using them to filter
my mail for 2 years with absolutely no problems.

Dennis J. Dougherty, MIS Manager
Pennsylvania Crusher Corporation
ddougher@penncrusher.com
http://www.penncrusher.com

On 8 Aug 2001, at 3:47, Chuck Peters wrote:

> One of our volunteers reported (22:13) not being able to send email with
> his Outlook mail client.  At first when I looked at the problem it
> appeared the mail server was down, but it was more severe than that.
>
> Our mail server was under attack from some pacbell.net DSL machines from
> 2001-08-07 15:18:29 to 2001-08-07 23:45:52.  I counted 2223 rejected spams
> and reported the problem to pacbel.
>
> The mail server went up and down from 15:20:10 to 22:55:55 29 times.
>
> The past 3 days have shown that the Code Red worm is increasing
> our hits here at CCIL.  On one machine we have 63366 hits attempting to
> infect us with the worm.
>

> My guess is that these spam attacks originated from a couple of Microsoft
> NT or 2000 machines which were comprimised by the new varient of the code
> red worm.  Some users on the svlug list have speculated that we will be
> seeing worse varients of the Code Red worm.
>
> I think that I am missing something though, 2223 rejected spams over 7
> hours isn't all that much mail that it should have stopped the mail server
> 29 times.  And this machine isn't getting nearly as many hits from the
> worm, maybe 1500 during the spam attack.  A couple of years ago we had
> some mail bomber send something like 64,000 messages one day.  Its the
> same machine, a 166 Mhz with 64 megs of ram.  The OS and smtp server has
> changed, we used to run BSDi with sendmail and now we have Debian with
> exim.  Here is one of the errors in syslog:
> Aug  7 22:55:55 mercury inetd[269]: smtp/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck