gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:19:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Accessing IP-dependent pages from home... (detach me)

[In the future, it would be nice for those of us using a mail reader
that pays attention to threading if, when replying on an unrelated
topic, PLUG posters removed the In-Reply-To: header if they were not
actually going to reply to the content of a message. I've munged
the headers a bit to get this to show up as a new thread here on
out.]

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 07:48:07AM -0400, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> Here on campus, most of our office machines have IP addresses in the
> 10.1.x.x range. Our school has 'contracts' with several
> databases/digital libraries that check the IP of the machines trying
> to access the stuff. If they are in the 10.1.x.x range, they are
> allowed, otherwise they're not.

I find that hard to believe. 10.0.0.0/8 is reserved private IP
space. Unless the companies you have contracts with are within your
IP space (do you have private, leased lines running to them?),
they're basing this decision on whatever address your 10net gets
translated to in the outside world.

> The problem is that when we are at home, there is no way we can get
> to this information easily. I was wondering if there is any simple
> way of setting up a server that I could somehow access from home
> (using different ISPs, as we have no modem bank on campus) which
> would assign (or 'fudge') an IP address so that it is in the range
> expected by the database servers.

Well. X-Forwarding a graphical web browser is going to be kind of a
painful experience, but running just any Unix-like operating system
(or, really, even windows using VNC) on a machine at work will
allow you to connect from your home machine to your work machine,
then connect to these databases from there.

You've already got plenty of Linux machines up, so just ssh in and
use lynx (or whatever).

> PS: Completely unrelated. Did any of you lost telephone dial tones in
> the Upper Darby are after yesterday storm?

No, but Swarthmore's campus lost power. Which reminded me yet again
how much happier eclipsed.net would be if I bought it a UPS. ;^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net