Kyle R . Burton on Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Virus Scanner

> I'm presently in the middle of setting up a new sendmail box with Amavis
> and the Sophos scanning engine.  The Sophos backend makes this a bit too
> expensive unless you have someone paying for it (but this is on a system
> that will act as a mail gateway for all of our users) ... but there have
> been postings before on using procmail, etc. as the AV tool.

I just realized...are there no open source projects that produce
anti-virus software?  You'd think that with the frequency of updates and
constantly evolving issues surrounding viruses that open source would be
a great way of solving the problem.

In what ways is AV software used?  To scan binaries in the local file
system for viruses?  To scan emails and email attachements for viruses?
To scan files as they're downloaded [through a web browser, ftp client,
etc]?

Would it be a difficult project to start?  Does the community need it?
Would they want it?

Kyle

Your mind free, silent and sufficient,
It exists above all forms.