Charles Stack on Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:00:15 +0200

RE: [PLUG] mobile access to internet

One solution, if you have digital phone service (like through Verizon), is
to use your cellphone as a modem.  Your phone connects to you laptop through
a cable and it communicates with modems on the towers.  Throughput is
14.4-19.2.   In areas where this is not available, these phones can also
operate in analog mode.  Through Verizon, your are billed per voice air
time...and not per packet as some services.

The latest StarTac's have this tri-mode capability and it works quite well.

If you were running Windows, I'd say to open an AOL account.  You could use
their network to communicate back with your own.  One way to do this might
be through VMWare.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of eric@lucii.org
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 1:40 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] mobile access to internet

I need some advice... I'm going to be traveling early next month
and I will be using a new laptop running Mandrake 8.0.

Currently, I use a Cable modem so I don't have a local ISP with
telephone access.  And besides, I don't want to dial long distance.

So, how do I get internet access while on the road?
I don't want to dial long distance.  "Free" services like
NetZero or the first month of AOL don't work with Linux (true?)
so they are no help.

I was thinking of calling an ISP in the city where I'll be
(Colorado Springs) and seeing if they'll sell me a dial-up for
a week with minimum fuss (don't need SMTP, mail account, web
page, or any other such overhead).

Does anybody have any other ideas and/or opinions?

Thanks!

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth