adam on Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:20:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Remote access tool for linux

just use putty or securecrt and "screen".

DESCRIPTION
       Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes  a
       physical  terminal  between  several  processes (typically
       interactive shells).  Each virtual terminal  provides  the
       functions  of  a DEC VT100 terminal and, in addition, sev
       eral control functions from the ISO 6492  (ECMA  48,  ANSI
       X3.64) and ISO 2022 standards (e.g. insert/delete line and
       support for multiple character sets).  There is a  scroll
       back  history buffer for each virtual terminal and a copy-
       and-paste  mechanism  that  allows  moving  text   regions
       between windows.

On Aug 24 aab@drexel.edu wrote:

> Ok, I agree with PuTTY completely for the basic connection, but it won't
> be the solution for the virtual terminals unless you're going to open up
> a new connection for each.  Install 'screen' on your system and then use
> PuTTY to make the connection, then start screen and access your multiple
> terminals within that SSH connection.
>
> I've used a couple "screen multiplexers" but 'screen' is fantastic, IMO.
>
> andrew.
>
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Steve Fredette wrote:
>
> > What I'd *like* is something that I can run in a dos box under windoze
> > that will let me use the entire linux console exactly as if I were
> > sitting in front of the linux machine, including all the virtual
> > terminals.

		///	www.boomshanka.org     ///
 	        (Do you really want to quit now?)
NOTE: While signatures are arguably a blemish, they are a well-understood
convention, and conveying the same information in headers exposes it to
mangling and makes it rather less conspicuous....