Dan Eunson on Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:50:08 +0200

RE: [PLUG] Re: Linksys router / general networking questions

Check out Netgear's RT314 or RT311 (same thing, 1 is 4 port the other 1
port, and both can handle up to 253 clients with more hubs/switches).  They
have a web interface, and a telnet interface.  I've had mine running since I
bought it (9 months ago), and except for a power outage, it's never been
rebooted, and I've never had a problem with it. Supports NAT, DHCP, port
forwarding, etc.. Never had a problem getting any services to work through
it (accessing outside services, or port forwarding).  I've found using DHCP
makes life a lot easier if you are using a laptop between home and work, and
for other machines, you only have to setup DNS, gateway, etc information
once.  Usually a machine will get the same IP address unless it's off the
network for more than a few days (lease expires on server, removes mac
addres from database), but I haven't run into it with this.  The 4 port
version is a little under $100 now at buy.com.
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10255256&loc=14577