Jarvis, John on Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:20:12 +0200

RE: [PLUG] Party to celebrate 10^9 seconds of UNIX?

I had no clue what a leap second was so I found this page..
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/leapsec.html

Wow, more than I ever wanted to know about that :)

Of course it doesn't really matter much to me as long as there is beer
drinking involved when it happens.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Jonas [mailto:bill@billjonas.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 9:19 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Party to celebrate 10^9 seconds of UNIX?

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 08:18:10PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Epoch time starts at midnight, January 1, 1970, GMT.  You're starting
> from midnight EST, which is GMT + 5 hours.  Then date converts it to
> EDT, which is an hour later than EST, and that's why it overshoots GMT
> by an hour.

BTW, has anyone accounted for leap seconds?  The standard says that UNIX
time is the number of seconds since the epoch, *not* counting leap
seconds.  I don't know if the system clocks account for leap seconds or
not...

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin