Greg Lopp on Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:50:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade confusion

As to why you are getting 404 from security.debian.org, the
following is from http://www.debian.org/security/faq

Q: How is security handled for testing and unstable?

A: The short answer is: it's not. Testing and unstable are
 rapidly moving targets and the security team does not have the
 resources needed to properly support those. If you want to have
 a secure (and stable) server you are strongly encouraged to stay
 with stable.

That being said, there do appear to be some security packages for
arm and powerpc for unstable(sid).

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 09:52:54PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> Now, what really bothers me is what debian thinks it's going to
> remove: things like task-x-window-system-core and gnumeric.
>
> Can anyone help me understand what is going on?
>

> What I want out of this is a current copy of gnumeric: I have 0.47,
> but I have some gnumeric files from a RedHat machine that I can't open
> because the file format has changed somewhat in the more recent
> versions of gnumeric. I'd also like, if I can get it, a more recent
> version of gnucash, a much harder request.
>
> But loosing X would be overkill...
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.

task-x-window-system-core does not exist outside of stable.  It
is a metapackage that is roughly equivalent to useing the last
three new packages it offered to download (xlibs
xserver-common-v3 xutils).  You will need to reconfigure X, but
you were going to do that anyway because stable uses 3.3.6 and
unstable uses 4.1.0.

For the record, I made a similar jump (stable >> unstable) back
in april and I recognize you confusion.  Let apt-get do it's
thing, but just keep repeating the following mantras :  "It's
going to be ok." "It will all work again once I get through this
dark tunnel" "debian is good for me, to me"

Greg