Darxus on Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:50:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade confusion

On 08/31, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Err http://security.debian.org woody/updates/main Packages
> 404 Not Found

security.debian.org only contains stable.

> Now, what really bothers me is what debian thinks it's going to
> remove: things like task-x-window-system-core and gnumeric.
>
> Can anyone help me understand what is going on?

the task* packages do not actually contain anything - they just depend on a
useful collection of packages, so that installing them will install what
they depend on.

Not sure why it's removing gnumeric.

I'd say just let it run, and attempt to install gnumeric afterward.

But you are going into debian unstable.  Things may very well break.

Actually, I strongly incourage using debian testing instead of debian
unstable.  It is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds, and I use it on
both of my workstations (at work and home).

Also, if your goal is just to get the latest gnumeric, there are a number
of other things you can do short of a dist-upgrade.

The easiest is just to update your sources, do an "apt-get update", then
"apt-get install gnumeric" - this will upgrade just gnumeric and everything
it depends on (which could include things like libc).  You could also try
just downloading the latest gnumeric debian package from the archive, and
manually installing it with "dpkg -i packagename".  It's worked for me with
other packages at times in the past.

Perhaps the cleanest solution would be to add the testing or unstable
source lines to your apt sources:

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

Then do:

apt-get --compile source gnumeric

This will build a file called gnumeric*deb in your current directory.  Do
"dpkg -i gnumeric*deb".  That should do it.

I think.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com